Chews to Read: 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
An early literacy reading program just for babies and toddlers!
Chews to Read 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
1,000 Books before Kindergarten is an ongoing early literacy reading program aimed at helping babies and toddlers better prepare for Kindergarten.
How to Participate:
- Visit the library and pick up a 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten folder packet
- Keep track of how many books your child reads or has read to them with the logs included in the folder packet. (Remember: it can be books read at school, church, home, wherever! You can even count the same book more than once!)
- Bring in the half-way certificate (found in the folder packet) to get a prize when your child reaches 500 books!
- Bring in the folder packet when your child finishes the program to have their name included on our Wall of Fame, a small treat, a certificate, and a book of their very own!
- Helps with early brain development and builds key language, literacy, and social skills
- Extends attention spans
- Develops curiosity, creativity, and imagination
- Through stories, kids are exposed to new situations, making them more prepared when they encounter these situations in real life.
- Builds interest in reading
- Develops a bond between the child and those that are reading to him/her
- You don't need to read 1,000 different books! If your child wants to read the same book over and over-- it still counts! In fact, repetition is a good thing!
- Keep a book or two in your car, diaper bag, etc. and read with them when you're waiting in line at the Post Office, at the doctor's office, etc.
- Encourage older siblings to read with your baby/toddler as well!
- Follow your child's lead. If they don't want to read at that time, don't force it. Try again later.
- Most importantly: This program is not a race or a competition!!! It's important to let your child go through the program at their own pace.