Origins of the Library
The library has a long history of dedicated support from our community. This commitment was first demonstrated in 1897, when a group of private citizens worked together to provide a free library and reading room located in a one-story building on 6th Avenue. The city soon voted to support a public library, and in 1907 the Dewitt Public Library was built just north of the original reading room with funds received from a Carnegie Foundation grant (one of 105 grants given to Iowa communities).
In 1987 the Library Board of Trustees looked toward the future needs of DeWitt and the surrounding area and constructed what is now the Frances Banta Waggoner Community Library on 10th Street. Construction of the library was made possible because of the generous contributions of individuals, community organizations, and the hard-working fund-raising committee who planned activities to raise needed funds as well as public awareness of the building project.
Upcoming Expansion Project
The Library Board is currently meeting with architects to prepare for a significant expansion of the library at its current location. To stay up to date on any progress, you can read our newsletter, watch for updates in the Observer, or friend us on the library's facebook page.